The Staff Psychologist provides clinical services for student athletes; coordinates development and delivery of psycho-educational programming to Inter-Collegiate Athletics students, staff, and coaches on topics central to the mental health needs of student athletes following National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and best practice guidelines.
- Provides clinical services specifically to meet the needs of student athletes, from a position largely dedicated to the Department of Inter-Collegiate Athletics.
- Provides individual, couples, and group therapy to Georgia Southern students.
- Provides crisis on-call service in rotation with other clinical staff.
- Provides crisis/triage assessment and response to students.
- Participates in various training programs housed within the Counseling Center.
- Provides clinical supervision to practicum students and Doctoral Interns.
- Provides outreach programming and consultations to campus community.
- Maintains all relevant ethical, legal, and professional standards of practice for Psychologists in the State of Georgia.
- Coordinates one or more areas of Counseling Center services as requested by Executive Director.
- Maintains compliance with Counseling Center policies and procedures, recognizing client confidentiality, participates in interdisciplinary treatment teams to address the individual needs of students within the Department of Inter-collegiate Athletics.
- Ph.D. or Psy.D. in Clinical or Counseling Psychology
- Licensure as a Psychologist in Georgia or the ability to obtain licensure as a Psychologist in Georgia within six months of start date
- One year of related work experience
- Current Certification, Certification in process, or willingness to work toward certification as a Certified Mental Performance Consultant (CMPC), administered by the Association for Applied Sport Psychology. Supervision and support would be provided to the successful applicant for obtaining this credential
- Prior experience working in a University Counseling Center, providing clinical supervision, with public speaking, crisis intervention, and/or competitive athletics.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Commensurate with experience
Apply Before Date
- Comprehensive knowledge of clinical theories, diagnoses, interventions, treatment planning and therapeutic outcomes
- Ability to demonstrate superior clinical and therapeutic skills and to foster positive therapeutic relationships with a diverse population of students
- Ability and willingness to work as part of an interdisciplinary team in a cooperative and respectful manner
- Ability to manage a caseload of individual, couples, and group therapy clients
- Ability to document clinical interactions via Electronic Medical Record system
- Rich understanding of social, developmental, and psychological issues and challenges faced by diverse populations of students within a higher education setting
- Ability and willingness to develop knowledge of College Counseling Center Service Models
- Demonstrated ability to effectively present outreach programming on mental health topics
- Experience and comfort with public speaking
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion and equity
June 26, 2020
Join Our Team at Georgia Southern!
Georgia Southern is a dynamic university with three vibrant campuses in Hinesville, Savannah and Statesboro serving the communities in Southeast Georgia. As a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution, our world-class scholars instruct about 26,000 students in associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral level degree programs. Whether you are seeking the charm of a small town, the traditions of a historical/urban destination near the beach or supporting our military service members and their families, Georgia Southern offers its faculty and staff the best of all worlds!
Beyond an ideal location, there is a place for you to work in an exciting environment abounding with opportunities for personal and professional growth. We are steeped in tradition and devoted to academic distinction in teaching, scholarship and service. In 2018 Forbes Magazine listed Georgia Southern, along with 10 other Georgia companies or institutions, as one of America's Best Midsize Employers. Georgia Southern University is passionate about serving our region while preparing our students to be lifelong scholars, leaders, and responsible stewards of their communities and the world.
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact the Department of Human Resources by phone at (912) 478-6947 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
For technical support, please call the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or email@example.com
Conditions of Employment
Equal Employment Opportunity
- Successful completion of background investigation and legal authorization to work in the US prior to employment
- Maintain licensure as a Psychologist in the State of Georgia
Georgia Southern University provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals in need of reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources: (912) 478-6947.
- Work generally performed in office environment
- Workweek may occasionally extend beyond 40 hours including nights and weekends
- Travel required
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Georgia Southern University, as determined by Georgia Southern University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Believing that diversity, equity, and inclusion contribute to excellence in the workplace and to the quality of the University's academic environment, Georgia Southern University is committed to recruiting and retaining diverse faculty and staff to support, promote, and serve a diverse student body and promote Inclusive Excellence. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, whose work furthers the institution's Inclusive Excellence goals, and who bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives and backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit: https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=39000&JobOpeningId=218915&PostingSeq=1