Old Dominion University’s Darden College of Education and Professional Studies is inviting applications for two tenure track positions at the Assistant or Associate Professor rank in the Library & Information Studies program. The department is committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, graduate students, and staff. The successful candidates will hold a 10-month, academic year position and will contribute to the advancement of our Master of Library & Information Studies program with a commitment to academic excellence in research and teaching.
Start date for the positions will be July 25, 2024.
The ODU Master of Library and Information Studies is an ALA Accredited degree with the American Library Association. Faculty are focused on growing a program with a national reputation with a commitment to leadership, social justice, and authentic practice informed by a context of innovative technology and community. We currently offer students pathways in assessment & evaluation, school librarianship, youth services, and instructional librarianship preparing students for professional positions in libraries, archives, and other information spaces. We invite applicants interested in building upon the program’s current strengths through contributions of innovative scholarship, curriculum, pedagogy, leadership, and discovery.
The primary responsibilities for this position are to:
- Produce high quality research for publication in top-ranked journals;
- Teach and develop graduate level, distance-education courses in librarianship and information studies;
- Contribute to systematic planning and development of the library and information studies program;
- Seek external funding opportunities to support scholarly activities, and;
- Participate in the professional and intellectual community through professional and university service.
Candidates interested in the senior faculty position must have the requisite scholarly record to warrant a tenured appointment in the department.
Required Qualifications are:
- An earned doctorate in library/information sciences or a related field by August 1, 2024;
- Strong potential or history of research and scholarly activities;
- Demonstrated or potential ability to teach one or more of these MLIS Core classes: Knowledge Organization, Knowledge Resources, Library Management & Leadership.
Preferred Qualifications are:
- An MLS/MLIS from an ALA accredited program;
- A record of service and leadership in the profession;
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity;
- The ability to work collaboratively;
- Experience with effective and innovative online, asynchronous instruction;
- A record of peer-reviewed publications and/or external grant experience;
- Interest and experience in research and teaching in new and emerging areas of library and information studies; and
- Professional and/or teaching experience in libraries, archives, or information organization.
The Darden College of Education and Professional Studies is proud to support a diverse and inclusive culture. Individuals from underrepresented populations are encouraged to apply. Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So, if you think you qualify but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to connect and see if you could be a great fit.
How to Apply
Interested candidates must submit application materials electronically, including the following:
- Letter of Interest
- Curriculum Vitae
- Research Statement
- Samples of scholarly writing/publications
- Unofficial Graduate Transcripts
- Names and contact information for three professional references
All materials should be submitted to the job posting at https://jobs.odu.edu/postings/19456. For questions concerning the position, please contact the chair of the search committee, Dr. Elizabeth Burns, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications should be submitted by November 1, 2023 for full consideration. The position will remain open until it is filled.