Adjunct Instructor - National Security Studies
: Faculty - Adjunct (Variable Hour)
Under direction from the Program Director and lead instructors, individual shall perform some or all of the following duties:
- Administer any required Student Learning Outcome (SLO) examinations at the beginning and end of each semester
- Plan, prepare, and teach an approved course of study that includes measurable objectives for each course taught.
- Prepare instructional materials (course outlines, syllabi, exams, mock-ups, visual aids, and instruction sheets) as necessary.
- Instruct, manage, and supervise individuals and groups in classrooms and laboratories, through using appropriate teaching methods.
- Evaluate instruction and learning by means of appropriate testing methods.
- Maintain a student-oriented approach to education.
- Maintain and submit accurate and current reports and records involving student accountability, attendance, performance, and follow-up.
- Assist advisors, program director, Department Chairperson, faculty, and department staff in maintaining an effective program.
- Improve professionally and maintain currency in the courses taught by: Reading and utilizing materials found in trade, technical, and professional publications; Surveying and researching industrial and business establishments; Obtaining and maintaining certification and degrees as required; Attending professional and specialty courses; Keeping abreast of new development trends, and techniques.
- Is thoroughly familiar with the academic freedom and professional responsibility statement and adheres to these policies.
- Maintain desirable and safe classroom conditions.
- Maintain knowledge of current UVU technology (i.e. Canvas) via continuous training offered through the Office of Teaching and Learning
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelors degree in the subject matter or a closely related area and two years of teaching or closely related professional experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of student management, motivation, and evaluation.
- Knowledge of evaluation of instruction, curriculum development, program development and evaluation.
- Thorough knowledge of appropriate field of study.
- Extensive knowledge of subject matter and course content of classes to be taught, instructional strategies and techniques.
- Skill in public speaking and report writing.
-Skill in using current technology.
- Effective human relations skills and communication techniques.
- Ability to apply effectively general principles to specific conditions.
- Ability to follow written and oral procedures and instructions.
- Ability to work effectively with faculty, staff, students, and administrators from diverse ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a masters degree in the subject matter or a closely related area and one year of teaching or closely related professional experience.
Physical ability to teach a class for up to 3 hours at a time.
DOQ: www.uvu.edu/hr/compensation (for salary schedules)
Review Start Date:
Open Until Filled:
Special Instructions to Applicant:
Adjunct faculty are hired on an as needed basis for a semester appointment only.
This position is posted on a continuous recruit basis. This means that applications are accepted even though there may not be a position currently available.
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the results of a background check, which includes a criminal records check. A criminal conviction is not necessarily a bar to employment.
To apply, visit: https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/14879
Employment decisions are made on the basis of an applicants qualifications and ability to perform the job without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), disability, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.