The Department of Communication at Northern Illinois University seeks a scholar with expertise in communication pedagogy to join our faculty as the full-time Basic Course Director, with a tenure-track appointment at the Assistant or Associate Professor level. We are especially interested in someone with demonstrated interest in pedagogical design who brings innovative approaches to public speaking instruction.
This position will supervise delivery of COMS 100—Fundamentals of Oral Communication, taught by instructors and Graduate Teaching Assistants. The Basic Course Director should also establish a research program that can lead to tenure and a national reputation, demonstrate success in teaching at the undergraduate level, as well as the potential for successful instruction in our M.A. program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Development of policies concerning common activities of the course, such as text selection, course requirements and assessments, as well as the training and supervision of instructors and teaching assistants.
- Teach classes appropriate to their areas of expertise in one of the four areas of the department (Advocacy and Public Communication, Journalism, Media Studies, and Organizational/Corporate Communication).
- Teaches three 3-credit hour classes per year, will publish peer-reviewed research, and engage in service activities appropriate to their rank.
Minimum Required Qualifications
Ph.D., J.D., M.F.A. or other appropriate terminal degree in Communication or a related field (degree in hand by start date)
- Knowledge of current disciplinary innovations and trends involving basic course administration and pedagogy
- Demonstrated ability to promote diversity and inclusion in learning and work environments
- Documented strong record or potential to reach a strong record of peer-reviewed publishing
- Demonstrated successful collegiate teaching experience