The National Institute of Education (NIE) is among the world’s top education institutes, recognised for its excellence in teacher education and educational research. NIE has played a key and pivotal role in shaping and developing Singapore’s teaching profession and landscape through evidence-informed, practice-focused and values-based programmes and initiatives.
An autonomous institute situated within the research-intensive Nanyang Technological University, NIE is consistently ranked within the top 15 in the world for research impact in the field of Education.
The Psychological Studies Academic Group (PS AG) at the National Institute of Education in Singapore is a team of dedicated educators and psychologists who strive passionately to apply psychological principles to education. Across our faculty, we have expertise ranging from education and teacher education to diverse fields of psychology such as educational and school psychology, cognitive psychology, social psychology, counselling psychology, and psychometrics. In addition, we have faculty researching and teaching in the domains of early childhood and special needs education. We are unified in our aim to make our programs and research more accessible to the community – who are our undergraduates, pre-service teachers, in-service teachers and aspiring specialists in counselling, applied psychology, and education through the life-span.
We invite suitably qualified applicants for a position at the Assistant Professor level, with specialization in Pre-School / Early Childhood Education, with the PS AG. The position may be in any one or more relevant areas of pre-school and/or early childhood education, such as child psychology, child development and cognitive development in early childhood, preferably with expertise in psychological assessment and intelligence testing.
Successful candidates must have :
- A doctorate degree in a relevant field, specializing in educational/school/ developmental/child psychology or pre-school/early childhood education
- Evidence of strong research productivity
- Willingness to understand and support the work of colleagues beyond one’s niche area of expertise
- A strong commitment to and aptitude for teaching at both undergraduate and graduate levels
- A good track record in university teaching and research, preferably at an institution of good standing and / or a promising trajectory in research and publication.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
The following are preferred:
- Familiarity with the Singapore education system and/or pre-school sector
- Teaching/ working experience with preschool educators and personnel in early childhood settings
- Eligibility for certification by Singapore Psychological Society and/or equivalent will be an advantage
Successful candidates will be expected to :
- teach existing and new courses at undergraduate and higher degree levels, as well as pre-service and in-service teacher education, more specifically in early childhood/pre-school related topics.
- supervise graduate students in their dissertations/theses as well as student practicum and/or fieldwork in multi-cultural settings.
- develop a research agenda and program, and to publish in reputable journals as is customary in his/her field
- establish professional connections with local and international researchers and practitioners involved in the specific expertise area
- share expertise with NIE colleagues through various platforms
- undertake administrative and/or leadership roles and to contribute to other service related activities at the department and Institute levels
- engage in program leadership and curriculum design and development
Applicants should complete and submit the following items to Ms Joey Lim at: firstname.lastname@example.org :
- Application Form for Academic Positions (http://www.nie.edu.sg/about-us/careers#submit-an-application)
- A cover letter addressing how you meet the requirements of this position
- A CV including a full publication list
- A statement of research interests
- A statement of teaching philosophy and experience and evidence of teaching excellence (if available)
- 1 to 3 of your best publications
- Contact details of three referees (3 academic referees OR 2 academic and 1 professional)
- Any other documents beyond those stated on the application form that demonstrates your qualifications and credentials
Note to applicants
We regret that only successful candidates will be notified (via email).
This position will remain open until filled.
More information on PSAG can be found at http://www.nie.edu.sg/our-people/academic-groups/psychological-studies
For enquiries, interested applicants may write to Psychological Studies Academic Group at email@example.com