Search for University Jobs in Social Sciences
Assistant/Associate Professor - Sociology
Utah Valley University
Assistant/Associate Professor - Sociology
Position Category: Faculty - Tenure Track (FT)
The Sociology Program - housed within the Department of Behavioral Science at Utah ValleyUniversity - invites applications for three tenure track positions, beginning on August 1, 2023.Successful candidates will be able to teach at least two of the following courses: Sociology ofAging, Environmental Sociology, Sociology of Gender, Social Change, Political Sociology,Internet and Society, Race and Minority Relations, Animals and Society, and Survey ResearchDesign. Candidates must be able to teach Introduction to Sociology, Social Problems, and eitherResearch Methods or Social Theories (Classical and Contemporary). Candidates should be able tosupplement and strengthen current Sociology program offerings. We are looking for candidateswho are collegial, motivated, have excellent interpersonal skills and are able to collaborate withcolleagues and mentor students. Ideal candidates should be able to work with first-generationand nontraditional students and can contribute to UVU's mission as an integrated university andcommunity college (https://www.uvu.edu/president/mission.html_)
The teaching load for a tenure-track faculty is 4 courses each fall and spring semester. Successfulcandidates will demonstrate teaching excellence in two or more modalities, including face-to-face, online (synchronous or asynchronous), and hybrid. Our faculty members are supported in theirinstructional activities by the Office of Teaching and Learning, an outstanding center for facultydevelopment that has robust staff support for online/hybrid courses and possesses a well-equipped technology lab.
UVU provides accessible, equitable, and culturally diverse learning experiences and resources for students of all backgrounds, including those historically underrepresented in higher education. We value diverse perspectives and seek to provide an atmosphere of respect, safety, and inclusion in our program. The candidate is expected to demonstrate a commitment to ethical, anti-oppressive practice, teaching excellence, teaching diverse learners, and modeling inclusive practices. Applicants from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
Qualifications: The positions require a Ph.D. degree in sociology at the time of employment(August 1, 2023), with a minimum of one year of undergraduate teaching experience (required);experience of teaching and mentoring a diverse and non-traditional student body (preferred).
1) A letter of application outlining relevant qualifications and experiences; areas ofspecialties/expertise; courses taught; teaching plan (including courses that the candidatewould like to teach); and how the candidate would support and mentor a diversepopulation of students2) A curriculum vitae3) Unofficial transcripts at the graduate level4) Writing samples (published or unpublished)5) Evidence of effective teaching at the undergraduate level (such as sample syllabi, courseevaluations, teaching observation letters, etc.)6) Names, phone numbers, and email addresses of three professional references. Referenceswill be contacted for shortlisted candidates only.
Utah Valley University is a rapidly growing regional university of more than 35,000 students and is located in Orem, Utah-about 40 miles south of Salt Lake City. Central Utah boasts not only fine restaurants and cultural events, but also access to world-class ski resorts, hiking, fishing, biking, and other outdoor activities. Nearby ski resorts include Alta, Brighton, Deer Valley, Park City, Snowbird, Solitude, and Sundance. UVU is a day's drive or less from Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, Zion National Park, Glacier National Park, Yellowstone National Park, Grand Teton National Forest, Grand Canyon National Park, Monument Valley, and others. Aside from Salt Lake City International Airport and Provo Airport, other airports within a day's drive include Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Phoenix, and Denver.
Screening of applicants will begin on December 3rd, 2023, and continue until the position is filled. A background check is required for employment in this position. For additional information, please contact the Search Committee Chair, Dr. Grace Chou (email@example.com). UVU offers an excellent benefits package that includes a generous leave policy, 13 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents, and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan.
Ph.D. degree in sociology at the time of employment (August 1, 2023), with a minimum of one-year of undergraduate teaching experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of subject matter and course content.
- Knowledge in the general field of Sociology, including the course content of the following classes: Introduction to sociology, Social Problems, Research Methods, Social Theories.
- Knowledge of any two (or more) of the following course content domains: Sociology of Aging, Environmental Sociology, Sociology of Gender, Social Change, Political Sociology, Internet and Society, Race and Minority Relations, Animals and Society, and Survey Research Design
- Skills in effective instructional strategies and techniques.
- Effective interpersonal, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Skills in modifying course content, developing original course content, and delivering course content in person, online, or in hybrid formats.
- Skills in conducting and disseminating original research in publication and presentation format. Skills in developing, leading, and maintaining committees and work groups
- Ability to manage, motivate, and evaluate students and instruction.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to relate to students in and outside of the classroom.
- Ability to facilitate the growth and development of the program.
- Ability to maintain a spirit of collegiality with colleagues, students, and administrators even in stressful times.
Experience of teaching and mentoring a diverse and non-traditional student body
Ability to use computers. Work is typically performed in an office environment.
UVU offers an excellent benefits package that includes a generous leave policy, 13 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents, and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan.
Pay Range: DOQ
Advertisement Number: FAC44322
Open Date: 11/03/2022
Review Start Date: 12/03/2022
Close Date: 1/31/2023
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicant:
To apply, visit: https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/31309
Employment decisions are made on the basis of an applicants qualifications and ability to perform the job without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), disability, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |