Search for University Jobs in Social Sciences
Institutional Research Analyst 4 (5876U) 23207
University of California, Berkeley
Institutional Research Analyst 4 (5876U) 23207
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: September 15, 2021
The Office of Planning & Analysis (OPA) supports data-informed decision making to help UC Berkeley better fulfill its goals of access and excellence through teaching, research, and public service. We engage with and promote success within our campus community by producing analyses that are objective, actionable, and creative. We strive to convey the Berkeley story in clear, innovative ways by making institutional data accessible and intelligible.
- Researches, gathers, analyzes and summarizes information for research projects with a broad range of internal and external and / or current and historical information. Responds to ad hoc requests for information and analysis, which may entail conducting complex extractions, analyses, and reporting/graphing of information contained within survey and institutional databases. Actively integrates information from campus and office data into campus/office research and planning projects. Works collaboratively with other analysts within OPA and across campus.
- Able to synthesize complex issues and present them in a creative and non-technical manner. Regularly engages in institutional data analysis and periodically produces reports and information that informs the strategic decision-making of campus stakeholders (e.g., enrollment tracking, curriculum analysis, faculty salaries and FTE reporting, Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) Initiative).
- Responds to select reporting requests from UCOP and external entities (e.g., AAU Data Exchange, IPEDS, Student Achievement Measure). Serves as an alternative AAUDE campus representative for UC Berkeley, and as the lead analyst for select ranking survey submissions. Serves as a subject matter expert (SME) on student data and select HR/Payroll/Finance data (e.g., faculty FTE data, faculty salary data), engaging in collaborations with other IR analysts and financial analysts in FP&A.
- Synthesizes complex issues and presents them via dashboards and reports in a creative and non-technical manner. Supports requests, priorities, and procedures for improving data presentation, reporting, special projects, and links with external sources. Initiates and creates interactive, accurate and modern data visualizations from scratch. Serve as one of the lead analysts who supports the development and maintenance of the Our Berkeley data digest and OPA's Tableau Server site. Utilizes creative presentation techniques to gain interest in analyses that advance campus decision making and support campus implementation of projects, programs, and new initiatives. Provides advice and training to other analysts within OPA, CFO Unit, and the campus on data visualizations for the campus leadership and public.
- Serves as a unit representative both internally and externally. Provides Cal Answers (reporting system) analytical support and other institutional research advice and training to less-experienced staff members. Provides support for validation of student data loads into the Enterprise Data Warehouse. Works collaboratively with campus units to meet their data and analysis needs.
- Professional development and other responsibilities as needed.
- Requires thorough knowledge in data collection and analysis techniques; statistics or social science research techniques; knowledge of, or can quickly learn, organization-specific computer application programs (for example, query tools and relational databases); knowledge of organizational principles and procedures involved in handling sensitive data (for example, Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, or FERPA).
- Requires active listening, critical thinking, good interpersonal skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks while meeting deadlines.
- Requires ability to present complex findings and recommendations in a clear concise manner verbally and in writing.
- Requires the ability to provide good judgment, decision-making, and problem solving.
- Requires keen attention to detail and numerical accuracy.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Highly proficient in using statistical and productivity software such as R, SPSS, Stata, SAS, MS Access, and Excel to transform, clean, analyze, and manage data; report statistics; create tables, graphs, and presentations.
- Experience using Oracle Business Intelligence, Tableau, or similar software.
- Understanding of organizational rules and regulations.
- Able to understand policy issues in higher education, particularly pertaining to undergraduate students at a selective public research university.
- Demonstrates ability to learn quickly, reason, synthesize, and generalize based on analysis of data.
- Master's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience within the range of $105,000 - $120,000.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=23207&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |