The School of Social Work at The University at Buffalo, State University of New York (SUNY) is seeking individuals with experience and knowledge of the social work practice community and the ability to make connections between the School’s curriculum and the skills and practice knowledge gained in student field placements. The incumbent will work collaboratively with the Field Education Department to ensure quality field experiences that enable students to meet required competencies, and adhere to accreditation standards.
Duties and Responsibilities (Field Educator):
- Provide a minimum of one hour per week of individual supervision to the MSW intern including an ongoing evaluation of their progress.
- Participate with the on-site task supervisor, in interviewing student interns for the field placement prior to the start of the actual field placement.
- Actively coordinate and work with on-site task supervisor in providing appropriate learning experiences for the interns.
- Attend an orientation session provided by the School (required for all new field educators).
- Provide the student with an orientation to the agency, including information on safety protocol, HIPAA requirements, or other regulations specific to field site.
Duties and Responsibilities (Field Liaison):
- Reviewing and providing input to students and field educators regarding the learning contract.
- Making a minimum of one field visit during the fall semester and one during the spring semester for each of the assigned students. The visits should include a three-way meeting with the student and field educator at the field placement site.
- Be available to problem-solve issues with the student and/or field educator via phone or through additional field visits as needed; document any significant problems and the recommendations made to address the problem.
- Reviewing the Field Performance Evaluation Form completed by the field educator at mid-placement and at the end of the student’s placement.
This is a pooled posting, and positions are filled on an as-needed basis
- Applicants must be licensed MSW’s.
- Two or more years of relevant social work experience.
- Prior exposure to supervising social work students preferred.