The Climate Policy Lab (CPL) at The Fletcher School is working to develop modeling and forecasting capacity for emerging economies to plan their net-zero, climate-resilient pathways by mid-century or beyond. This ambitious project aims to identify policy pathways for deep decarbonization in several countries including China, India, Mexico, Brazil, Indonesia, South Africa, Vietnam, and Ethiopia. CPL, in partnership with Energy Innovation LLC, is helping develop open-source complex systems dynamics decarbonization models for these emerging economies.
What You'll Do
The Climate Modeling & Policy Director is responsible for building decarbonization modeling capacity for emerging economies. Manages diverse sets of associated local and foreign research partners and works with external partners and governments. Designs systems dynamics decarbonization and resilience models for multiple countries by working in tandem with modeling experts at our partner organization, Energy Innovation LLC. Supports the development of new models that will underpin CPL climate policy research and analysis. Works with in-country partners to source input data for the models and develops potential policy scenarios for deep decarbonization in the respective countries. Manages an evolving modeling team including research assistants and supports pre- and post-doctoral researchers in CPL. May teach master’s level courses and advise master’s level students thesis development, in a non-tenure track academic research professor appointment with The Fletcher School.
What We're Looking For
- Knowledge and skills as typically acquired through completion of Bachelor’s degree in Degree in climate systems dynamics modeling or related field
- 10+ years of experience in energy and climate modeling, policy analysis
- Proficient understanding of how energy and climate impact different sectors of an economy
- Strong understanding of the fundamentals of scientific and technical subject matter relating to environmental systems, energy technologies, and policy design
- Experience managing projects that involve external partners and organizations
- Experience working with complex data sets and mathematical models
- Interest in, and knowledge of, climate science and policy
- Excellent oral and written skills.
- Knowledge of Python, R, and other software programs
- PhD degree preferred
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer - minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.