Recently embarking on a historic $2.1 billion comprehensive campaign, the University of Kentucky set an ambitious path to be a destination for students, scholars, and healthcare providers to forge new discoveries and arrive at world-class outcomes. University of Kentucky Libraries is vital to fulfilling the goals of enhancing and expanding the university’s research enterprise, and we are looking for a creative and engaged library professional to join our team who will collaborate with faculty, students, library staff, and others across the University to support scholarship, teaching, and research within the social sciences.
The Social Sciences Librarian will serve as the primary liaison who will provide research and curricular support to assigned subject areas. Possible subject areas include Social Work, Sociology, Psychology, Geography, and Anthropology. The Librarian will:
- In collaboration with the Libraries’ instruction program, develop, teach, and assess curriculum-integrated information literacy instruction sessions in assigned subject areas and related fields. Share instruction responsibilities for other courses as needed.
- Responsible for collection development, management and assessment for assigned subject areas. This includes collaborating with other librarians on interdisciplinary collection decisions and scholarly communication issues.
- Provide research assistance and consultations for students, faculty, and community members, including creating and maintaining web-based research guides.
- Engage in consultative services for the selection, use, and lifecycle management of quantitative and qualitative data.
- Identify and communicate appropriate resources and emerging trends related to scholarly communication, including copyright, research data management, geographic information systems, open educational resources, and open access.
- Participate in outreach and campus engagement activities that build partnerships and cultivate relationships with key university units.
Reporting to the Head of William T. Young Library Reference Services, the Social Sciences Librarian will participate in shared governance of the University of Kentucky by serving on library, departmental/college, and university committees as appropriate. The Librarian will pursue scholarship, professional development, and service activities in order to meet requirements for tenure and promotion as well as work collaboratively to promote diversity, equality, and inclusivity with the Libraries and on campus.
Position is a full-time, 12-month, tenure-track position.
The University of Kentucky is a public, land grant university of approximately 32,000 students, 3,500 faculty, and 15,000 staff dedicated to improving people’s lives through excellence in education, research and creative work, service, and health care. With over 200 academic programs across sixteen colleges and professional schools, the University plays a critical leadership role by promotion diversity, inclusion, economic development, and human well-being. Located in the beautiful bluegrass region of central Kentucky, the University of Kentucky Libraries includes the main William T. Young Library, Medical Center Library, Special Collections Research Center, Agricultural Information Center, Fine Arts Library, Design Library, Education Library, Lexmark Library, and Science & Engineering Library. Combined library holdings total more than four million volumes. The system has a faculty of 60 and a support and professional staff of 108. UK Libraries currently uses the Ex Libris Alma and Primo systems. UK Libraries memberships include the Association of Research Libraries, LYRASIS, ASERL, and the Center for Research Libraries. UK is a regional depository for government publications.
To apply, interested applicants must complete a UK application and attach two documents:
- Curriculum vitae
- Cover letter
Please include contact information for three references when prompted in the application. This information may be utilized to solicit recommendation letters for your references within the employment system.
The application deadline is August 23rd, 2019.