Simmons School of Social Work offers degrees at the bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels (BSW, MSW, DSW, PhD). The BSW degree is offered through both our traditional campus-based program and via our innovative online platform, SocialWork@Simmons (SW@S)
, which launches in May of 2020. The SW@Simmons
BSW Program Director works with and reports to the School of Social Work Director to ensure academic excellence and to build and sustain the SW@S
BSW Program as an engaged learning community of faculty, students and community partners.
The position is a full-time twelve-month practice faculty (non-tenure track) appointment. The appointment will be at a level commensurate with a candidate's experience (Associate Professor of Practice or Professor of Practice). The position includes a reduced teaching load, as well as administrative responsibilities that support the management and operation of the SW@S
BSW Program. This position can be remote with expectations for availability for campus-based activities as needed.
- Provide oversight and leadership of the SW@S BSW Program.
- Collaborate with the campus-based BSW director regarding compliance with the Council on Social Work Education Educational Policy & Accreditation standards, program renewal and administration; anticipating need for new curricular development in emerging areas of practice, ensuring commensurability between program platforms, overseeing compliance with accreditation standards, and overseeing implementation of a student assessment plan to ensure continuous quality improvement.
- Provide leadership, in collaboration with HR, in the recruitment, selection and scheduling of prospective faculty as Section Instructors (SI) required to staff all sections of all courses offered through the SW@S online BSW program for each of three(3) academic terms per calendar year.
- Orient and provide ongoing oversight and annual review of faculty performance.
- Support teaching excellence through mentorship and faculty development activities.
- Work closely with our online partner to ensure smooth functioning of all aspects of our online platform.
- Coordinate with advising and SSW leadership regarding student issues (academic misconduct, academic policies).
- Convene regular meetings with student groups .
- Provide outreach to students via social media and other platforms as needed to create community and provide support.
- Carry a reduced teaching load within a calendar year.
- Review all syllabi and course evaluations
- In collaboration with Director of SW@S BSW Field Education, ensure excellence in student learning in field placement; Supervise activities of the BSW Field Director.
- Coordinate with SW@S Registrar and plan for Academic year schedule
- Participate in student recruitment activities.
- Review admissions applications as needed.
- Plan new student orientation activities.
- Participate on committees as the SW@S BSW program designee at the School, College and University.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Application Materials
- DSW or PhD in Social Work or closely related field required.
- MSW from a CSWE-accredited program required.
- Two years post-MSW practice experience required.
- Teaching experience in social work education required.
- Experience with hybrid or online-based learning platforms strongly preferred.
- Previous administrative and supervisory experience, working collaboratively with a large team in a fast-paced environment strongly preferred.
Please upload the following documents with your application:
Instructions to Applicants
- Cover letter
- Writing sample
- Names and contact information for three references
: Please upload all
applicable application materials (e.g. resume/cv, cover letter, writing sample, teaching philosophy, etc.) in the "Resume/CV" box on page 2 ("My Experience") of this application. Documents can be uploaded individually or as a combined document (e.g. PDF).
Simmons University is committed to inclusive excellence in all aspects of an individual's community experience. As a university committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, Simmons encourages applications from all under-represented groups. Simmons is committed to creating, developing, promoting, and enhancing inclusive hiring practices-at all levels, for all positions-ensuring diverse talent pools and the delivery of a consistent positive candidate experience. Simmons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to continuing to develop a more diverse faculty, staff, student body, and curriculum.
To apply, visit https://simmons.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Simmons-Careers/job/Main-Campus---Boston-MA/BSW-Program-Director-and-Associate-Professor-of-Practice--School-of-Social-Work_R07232
Located in Bostons historic Fenway area, Simmons College is a small, private, non-sectarian College which has educated students for enriching careers and purposeful lives since 1899. Working at Simmons means joining a collaborative, diverse and mission-driven community of educators and professionals.
We prepare students to be leaders for themselves, their communities and the world. Our faculty and staff members lead by example - sharing a commitment to excellence and putting the students first.