Primary Purpose of Position
Provides educational leadership in the development, management, implementation, and evaluation of research based, integrative statewide Extension programs that meet the needs of limited-resource and socially-disadvantaged audiences. Delivers training and educational support materials for field staff and their clientele/ customers in family education, consistent with the philosophy, policy and overall mission, goals and educational objectives of Cooperative Extension at North Carolina A&T. Specifically, this position provides educational leadership for a statewide program in family life and human development with special emphasis on limited resource families consistent with the philosophy, policy and overall education objectives of the North Carolina Agricultural Extension Service. Responsible for programming in the areas of parent education, child care and development, family and interpersonal relationships and youth programs in human development.
Primary Function of Organizational Unit
Cooperative Extension at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University is an educational outreach organization within the College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences. Cooperative Extension at A&T provides researched-based educational information, programming and technical assistance to limited-resource audiences that address a diverse range of issues in four programmatic areas – Agriculture and Natural Resources, Family and Consumer Sciences, Community and Rural Development, and 4-H Youth Development. Together with its partners – North Carolina State Extension, U.S. Department of Agriculture, state and county governments, a dynamic and resourceful system is formed. In addition to campus operations, Cooperative Extension has professionally staffed offices in almost half of the 100 counties in North Carolina and the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians. For additional information, please visit (http://www.ncat.edu).
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. from an accredited university in Child Development and Family Relations, or a closely related field.
- Experience in the design and development of educational training materials for use in community based educational programming.
- Computer literacy (proficiency in MS Excel, PowerPoint and Office, etc.)
- Strong oral and written communication skills as well as strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, interact and collaborate with colleagues and community partners.
- Ability to interact and gain support from constituencies outside the university such as business and industry, state and federal agencies and non-profit and private foundations.
- Ability to handle multiple demands and set priorities.
- Ability to travel 25 – 50% of time, including overnight stays and occasional weekends.
Preferred Years Experience, Skills, Training, Education
- In addition to doctorate, five or more years of professional community and economic development experience in Cooperative Extension or non-profit private sector.
- One or more years of successful teaching experience in Extension or other educational setting.