Position Description Summary
The School of Family and Consumer Sciences at Northern Illinois University seeks applications for an anticipated 9-month, tenure-track faculty position at the assistant professor level in Human Development and Family Sciences, to begin August 2020.
The position is housed in the area of Family and Child Studies of the School of Family and Consumer Sciences. The School has 15 full-time faculty members and three supportive professional staff and offers three undergraduate degrees and one Master’s degrees (www.chhs.niu.edu/fcns/). Northern Illinois University is a Doctoral/Research extensive university with a diverse student body of over 21,000, located 65 miles west of Chicago.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach undergraduate and graduate courses in family relations that promote family wellbeing through prevention and intervention in the context of family and human development across the life span.
- Maintain an active program of applied research and scholarship, and direct theses.
- Participate in in school and university committee work including curriculum, program development and assessment, and advocate for Human Development and Family Sciences-related professions regionally, nationally, and internationally.
- Be able to positively contribute to the needs of the diverse student body of NIU.
- An earned doctorate by the time of appointment in the area of human development and family sciences or closely related field. Applicants who have not completed their doctoral program must include documentation indicating the likelihood of completion by August 2020.
- University-level teaching experience;
- Demonstrated established record of scholarship or potential for, scholarship leading to publications and external funding.
- Demonstrated commitment for cross-disciplinary collaboration and program development.
Preference will be given to candidates with record of scholarly publications, university-level teaching experience, graduation from one COAMFTE accredited program, success in grant writing and/or securing external funding.