Director of On Ground Field Education, School of Social Work
Main Campus - Boston, MA
Simmons School of Social Work offers degrees at the bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels (BSW, MSW, DSW & PhD). The MSW degree is offered through both our traditional campus-based/on ground program and via our innovative online platform, SocialWork@Simmons (SW@S)
. The Director of On Ground Field Education is the senior administrator of the campus-based Field Education Department, providing leadership and oversight for the placement and support of approximately 400 MSW students annually. This position is Boston-based. The Director partners with the Online Field Education Director to ensure commensurability between the two program options and works closely with MSW Program leadership.
Simmons University is committed to inclusive excellence in all aspects of an individual's community experience. As a university committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, Simmons encourages applications from all under-represented groups. Simmons is committed to creating, developing, promoting, and enhancing inclusive hiring practices at all levels, for all positions, ensuring diverse talent pools and the delivery of a consistent positive candidate experience. Simmons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to continuing to develop a diverse faculty, staff, student body, and curriculum.
Simmons University is a small, highly collegial and dynamic university located in the heart of Boston's world-renowned Longwood Medical Area. Simmons is comprised of an undergraduate liberal arts education program for women and those who identify as women, plus professional graduate schools with masters and doctoral programs for all genders, presenting unique and rich opportunities for interdisciplinary research and collaboration. The School of Social Work is part of the College of Social Sciences, Policy, and Practice.
The Director holds a full-time twelve-month administrative position with faculty rank at a level commensurate with a candidate's experience (Associate or Professor of Practice).
- Leadership and management of all departmental operations including oversight of personnel, department policies and initiatives, tracking and reporting of student needs and progress, and other day-to-day functions.
- Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate on ground field department employees.
- Oversee the recruitment, approval, and assessment of all on ground field placements and supervisors.
- Develop new and foster existing relationships with community partners to assure ongoing partnerships in field education.
- Oversee the assessment of student learning outcomes and satisfaction in field, and ensure that student learning is assessed in accordance with CSWE EPAS.
- Take leadership role in developing and teaching the Seminar in Field Instruction (SIFI).
- Annually review and revise Student Field and Field Liaison Manuals, in collaboration with online counterpart and MSW Director.
- Participate in SSW Committees (e.g., Curriculum and Assessment) and student events as part of service requirement.
- Convene Field Advisory Board.
- Provide editorial support for The Field Educator, the premier online journal for Field Education.
- Liaise with the MSW Director and Online Field Director to update syllabi, field manual and all other written and video communication related to SW@Simmons field education.
- Represent Simmons at New England Consortium of Field Directors (NECON).
- Conduct weekly team meetings to review operations, student issues, placement plans, curricular changes, and to discuss needs for coordination with the online platform.
- Serve as point person for higher-level student issues related to on ground field placement.
- Teaching responsibilities as needed.
Required Application Materials:
- A Master's degree in Social Work from a CSWE accredited program is required.
- A PhD, DSW, or doctorate in an allied field is preferred.
- Must have a minimum of 8 years post-M.S.W. agency-based social work practice experience with evidence of leadership experience with increasing levels of administrative and supervisory responsibilities; LICSW required.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years' experience in social work field education, field supervision, and placing social work students in field settings; online education.
- Experience working with online education platforms is strongly preferred.
- Must be proficient with relevant technology (e.g., Microsoft Office and presentation software).
- Experience recruiting, team-building and managing staff.
- Creative and innovative, with the ability to work independently and within a team.
- Able to adapt to new and rapidly changing situations.
- Strong time management and problem-solving skills.
- Skilled at connecting and building rapport with students.
- Well organized, with excellent skills in customer service and project management.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, with discretion in handling confidential information.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and writing sample. In addition, please submit the names and contact information of three professional references. Screening of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Annual Compensation Grade
Instructions to Applicants
: Please upload all
applicable application materials (e.g. resume/cv, cover letter, writing sample, teaching philosophy, etc.) in the "Resume/CV" box on page 2 ("My Experience") of this application. Documents can be uploaded individually or as a combined document (e.g. PDF).
Simmons University is committed to inclusive excellence in all aspects of an individual's community experience. As a university committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, Simmons encourages applications from all under-represented groups. Simmons is committed to creating, developing, promoting, and enhancing inclusive hiring practices-at all levels, for all positions-ensuring diverse talent pools and the delivery of a consistent positive candidate experience. Simmons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to continuing to develop a more diverse faculty, staff, student body, and curriculum.
To apply, visit https://simmons.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Simmons-Careers/job/Main-Campus---Boston-MA/Director-of-On-Ground-Field-Education--School-of-Social-Work_R07417
Located in Bostons historic Fenway area, Simmons College is a small, private, non-sectarian College which has educated students for enriching careers and purposeful lives since 1899. Working at Simmons means joining a collaborative, diverse and mission-driven community of educators and professionals.
We prepare students to be leaders for themselves, their communities and the world. Our faculty and staff members lead by example - sharing a commitment to excellence and putting the students first.