Lecturer of Sociology
Nevada State College (NSC) appreciates your interest in employment. To ensure your application process runs smoothly, we ask that you keep in mind the following when completing your application:
- The required documents are listed below on the posting. Your application may not be considered if you do not attach the required documents.
- Draft applications are saved automatically and can be accessed through your candidate home account. Completed applications must be submitted prior to the close of the recruitment. Once a recruitment has closed, applications will no longer be accepted.
- Please note, recruitment will close without notice when a hiring decision has been made.
If you need assistance or have questions regarding the application process, please contact the Human Resources department at (702) 992-2320 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The School of Liberal Arts & Sciences at Nevada State College invites applications for a Full-Time Lecturer of Sociology to begin in August 2020.
About Nevada State College
Founded in 2002, Nevada State College (NSC) is a four-year public college located on a developing 512-acre campus in the foothills of Henderson, Nevada (adjacent to Las Vegas). Our faculty members enjoy the rare opportunity to mold the college as it continues to grow into a cornerstone of higher education in Southern Nevada. NSC faculty work in state-of-the-art facilities that feature smart classrooms and a Finance Lab that allows students to use real-world and timely information during class. The average class size across campus is 27 students. For more information about NSC, watch this video about student life at NSC.
NSC serves approximately 5,000 students who are highly diverse and largely underserved; a majority of our students are first generation, racial/ethnic minorities, parents, and/or returning students. As a teaching-oriented institution, our faculty focus on high-quality instruction, engaging learning experiences, and innovative techniques to improve student learning.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement:
At Nevada State College, we celebrate the storied backgrounds of our campus community. We operate with a shared commitment to represent and serve the diverse population of Nevada and to encourage the exchange of ideas that respects and honors the lived experiences of our students, staff, and faculty. We foster a culture of inclusive excellence so our members can live authentically, fully engage, and flourish. In order to strengthen the college and progress its mission, the college dedicates itself to intentional and ongoing reflection to meeting the evolving needs of NSC, the surrounding communities, and the State of Nevada.
Throughout your application materials, we encourage you to highlight your background in fostering an inclusive campus culture and supporting the success of students who are historically underrepresented in higher education. For example, your efforts might include contributions in the areas of teaching, mentoring, advising, research, and/or institutional service.
- Teach four sections of upper and lower-level sociology courses per semester in a variety of formats (e.g., in-person, hybrid, and online).
- Serve on departmental and college-wide committees.
- Participate in college recruiting events.
- Mentor and advise students within your discipline.
- M.A. in Sociology or related field. Degree must be conferred from a regionally accredited institution
- Ability to teach a variety of courses including, but not limited to: SOC 101: Principles of Sociology; SOC 230: Introduction to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Studies; SOC 441: Social Inequality; SOC 453: Gender and Society; SOC 471: Racial and Ethnic Relations in America
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching and a genuine interest in joining NSC, a teaching college dedicated to providing opportunities for a largely underserved student population.
- Eligibility to work in the United States (NSC does not sponsor visas for international employees)
- A strong commitment to serving the local community
: Applicants must meet the posted minimum qualifications at the time of application in order to be considered for the position.
Rank, Salary & Benefits:
- Ph.D. in Sociology or related field
- Prior teaching/classroom experience.
- Evidence of mentoring students
- Experience with online or hybrid courses (NSC uses Canvas Learning Management System)
This Posting is Open Until Filled
- Lecturer, renewable contract; Non-tenure track
- Budgeted salary for this position is $42,000 per year (9-month appointment) with opportunities for additional overload pay in winter and summer sessions
- Nevada State College offers excellent benefits, including 15.25% retirement match, 11 paid holidays, beginning balance of 30 sick leave days, educational benefits, and two health insurance plans that can be supplemented with flexible spending accounts or health savings accounts
Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply immediately. Lists of eligible candidates will be established and hiring may occur early in the recruiting process. Recruitment will close without notice when a hiring decision has been made.
Special Instructions for Internal NSHE Applicants
NSC employees or employees within the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE, UNLV, UNR, NSC, CSN, TMCC, WNC, GBC, or DRI) MUST use the Find Jobs process within Workday to find and apply for jobs at NSC and other NSHE Institutions. Once you log into Workday, type "Find Jobs" in the search box which will navigate to the internal job posting site.
If you complete an application outside of the internal application process, your application will be returned and you will have to reapply as an internal applicant which may delay your application.
Please upload the following documents:
- A letter of interest that includes a discussion of your background in, and approach to, teaching.
- Curriculum vitae or professional resume.
- Names and contact information of three references, at least one of whom can speak to your teaching ability (reference calls follow campus interview).
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Student course evaluation summaries for the last three years (with statistics and written comments). Failure to submit course evaluation summaries will disqualify you from consideration.
The search committee may ask for more materials at later stages in the application process.Throughout your application materials, we encourage you to highlight your background in fostering an inclusive campus culture and supporting the success of students who are historically underrepresented in higher education.
Applications that do not include the required uploaded documents may not be considered.
Posting Close Date
Note to Applicant
Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience with specific reference to each of the minimum and preferred qualifications in their cover letter. The search committee will use this information during the initial review of application materials.
References will be contacted at the appropriate phase of the recruitment process.
This position may require a criminal background check to be conducted on the candidate(s) selected for hire.
As part of the hiring process, applicants for positions in the Nevada System of Higher Education may be required to demonstrate the ability to perform job-related tasks.
Nevada State College does not currently sponsor Visas, all applicants must be eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship.
Nevada State College
To apply, visit https://nshe.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/NSC-external/job/NSC---Henderson/Lecturer-of-Sociology_R0118185