UNT Space Management and Planning contributes to the mission of the university by providing comprehensive strategic planning in a manner that is responsive to the environment and culture of our community. The department works with campus partners to determine the value, usage, location and need of space on campus, and creates data-driven solutions that enhance the future of UNT. This department is critical to ensuring UNT accurately plans the usage of more than 7.8 million GSF of space.
The Director of Space Management and Planning is responsible for understanding, tracking and analyzing the academic, research and administrative space needs on campus, and using that information to create plans and processes that support the goals of UNT. The director will use best practices from higher education and outside industry to guide the institution and further support our accessible and inclusive community. The director develops trusted partnerships with campus leaders and colleagues. The director brings balance to complex situations by using strong communication, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and mentors these skills in the Space Management and Planning staff. The director is a dedicated steward for one of our university’s most precious resources – space.
Bachelor’s Degree in related field and at least seven years of space or facilities management experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience analyzing and comprehending floor plans, elevations, and CAD drawings throughout the various stages of SD, DD, and CD.
- Knowledge of room type/use categories and classroom utilization mandates.
- Knowledge of state and federal space reporting guidelines.
- Master’s degree in architecture, planning or a related field
- Comprehensive understanding or experience with public sector or higher education business issues and planning mechanisms
- Understanding or experience meeting Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board reporting requirements
- Proficient in FM: Systems software or other similar space management software solutions