The University of Kentucky Libraries seeks a creative, collaborative, and engaged library professional to provide innovative services in the position of Hispanic Studies and Political Science Librarian. The Librarian will engage and collaborate with faculty, students, library staff, and others across the University to support scholarship, teaching, and research involving Hispanic Studies (including Latin American, Caribbean, and Latinx Studies) and political science.
The Hispanic Studies and Political Science Librarian will serve as the primary liaison to the Hispanic Studies and Political Science Departments. The Librarian will provide research and curricular support in the areas of Hispanic studies and political science. The Librarian will:
- Develop and manage collections related to Hispanic studies and political science.
- Develop, teach, and assess information literacy instruction sessions in Hispanic studies, political science, and related fields.
- Provide online and in-person research assistance and consultations for students, faculty, and community members, including creating and maintaining online research guides.
- Provide support and referral for the selection, use, and lifecycle management of quantitative and qualitative data.
- Act as a resource and recommend appropriate resources on scholarly communication topics including copyright, research data management, geographic information systems, open educational resources, and open access.
- Initiate and support engagement and outreach to UK’s international studies community.
- Work collaboratively to promote diversity, equality, and inclusiveness with the Libraries and on campus.
Reporting to the Head of William T. Young Library Reference Services, the Librarian will participate in outreach and campus engagement activities that build partnerships and cultivate relationships with key university units. The Librarian will participate in shared governance of the University of Kentucky by serving on library, departmental/college, and university committees as appropriate. The position will pursue scholarship, professional development and service activities in order to meet requirements for tenure and promotion.
This is a full-time, 12-month, tenure-track position.
The University of Kentucky is a public, land grant university of approximately 32,000 students, 3,500 faculty, and 15,000 staff dedicated to improving people’s lives through excellence in education, research and creative work, service, and health care. With over 200 academic programs across sixteen colleges and professional schools, the University plays a critical leadership role by promotion diversity, inclusion, economic development, and human well-being.
Located in the beautiful bluegrass region of central Kentucky, the University of Kentucky Libraries includes the main William T. Young Library, Medical Center Library, Special Collections Research Center, Agricultural Information Center, Fine Arts Library, Design Library, Education Library, Lexmark Library, and Science & Engineering Library. Combined library holdings total more than four million volumes. The system has a faculty of 60 and a support and professional staff of 108. UK Libraries currently uses the Ex Libris Alma and Primo systems. UK Libraries memberships include the Association of Research Libraries, LYRASIS, ASERL, and the Center for Research Libraries. UK is a regional depository for government publications.
To apply, interested applicants must complete a UK application and attach two documents:
- Curriculum vitae
- Cover letter
Please include contact information for three references when prompted in the application. This information may be utilized to solicit recommendation letters from your references within the employment system.
The application deadline is March 1st, 2019, and priority application review will begin February 8th, 2019.