Nazarbayev University’s Center for Preparatory Studies (CPS) is currently seeking a qualified and experienced Senior Teaching Fellow (STF) to provide academic advising and pastoral care for approximately 700 students to begin in August 2020.
CPS has two academic programs: a Foundation Year Program (NUFYP) and a pre-masters preparatory program. NUFYP emphasizes academic English, mathematics, and study skills to prepare students for Nazarbayev University’s undergraduate schools. NUFYP students generally are from 16 – 18 years old. CPS also operates a one-year pre-master’s curriculum for students conditionally admitted to a master’s degree program at NU.
The STF for academic advising will provide pastoral care and academic advice to students as they begin university studies and will help faculty in working with at risk students. The STF also liaisons with the University’s Schools, works closely with the Department of Student Affairs, and coordinates with the Office of the Registrar to ensure students receive support in all areas and are poised for success in the University.
A Successful Candidate must have the knowledge, skills, experience, and qualifications required to provide academic and pastoral advice to students in both CPS preparatory programs. Administrative, communication, and negotiation skills are critical as primary duties include:
- Keeping the General Director informed of student issues
- Collaboratively working with the Heads of Discipline and faculty
- Organizing and advising the NUFYP Student Council
- Liaising with University departments (e.g., Student Affairs, Psychological Counseling Center, Registrar Office)
- Checking the wellbeing of students and ensuring at risk students receive timely advice and adequate support
- Counseling students (both academic and pastoral advising)
- Maintaining confidential records
- Advising and guiding teachers on handling student’s personal and study issues
- Leading orientation and student registration sessions
- Advising students on standards for progressing into the undergraduate schools
- Guiding students through withdrawal and academic leave
Desired Qualifications and Experience
- MA/MSc in an appropriate discipline (e.g., counseling, academic advising, clinical psychology) or a teaching degree with extensive relevant experience
- Experience counseling and/or formally advising students
- Background check to work with minors (required); cultural, educational, and emotional understanding of Kazakhstani youth
- Administrative and organizational skills-use of spreadsheets, preparing reports, maintaining records
- Tactful, patient, and professional communicator-a problem solver-with good interpersonal skills
- Ability to handle stress and ambiguity, work in a multicultural educational environment, and live in Kazakhstan
Nazarbayev University offers:
- An internationally competitive salary
- 56 days of paid leave per year
- Rent-free housing based on family size
- Relocation allowance
- Two air tickets per year, including dependents to home country
- No-cost medical insurance with global coverage
- Educational allowance for dependent children
To Apply click the link below and upload (in PDF if possible):
1. Curriculum Vitae: max 4 pages (normal font and spacing) and include in it your Contact Information for at least two referees and the contact information of your current/most recent supervisor. Note: referees/employer will not be contacted unless you are shortlisted and give permission.
2. Cover Letter: that outlines your relevant experiences and qualifications and a paragraph of why you are interested this position.
Please do not upload any other materials to your application at this time. Prior to shortlisting, candidates are asked to complete a pre-interview questionnaire.
Review of applications will begin immediately with interviews expected in June 2020.
Questions regarding the University or the position can be addressed to the Director through Smart Recruiter. Additional information can be found at the official website of Nazarbayev University www.nu.edu.kz.
Nazarbayev University is an EOE.