The University of Sharjah is an independent academic institution with more than 17,500 students and over 700 full-time faculty members. The University of Sharjah is considered one of the leading institutions of higher education in the Arab Gulf region and Middle East. It offers academic programs in a number of specializations, including arts, humanities and social sciences, the medical specialties, health sciences, engineering, applied sciences, business administration, communication, law, sharia and Islamic studies, and fine arts and design, and Computing And Informatics.
The University offers a prime location and state-of-the-art facilities where it is located in Sharjah University City, close to Sharjah City Center and the pristine coastal areas of Sharjah and the Emirates of Dubai and Ajman.
The University of Sharjah attracts outstanding students from the UAE, GCC countries and a number of other Arab and foreign countries.
The College of Sharia and Islamic Studies was established in 1997. Currently, approximately 500 students are enrolled in the two departments : The Foundations of Religion and Jurisprudence and its Foundations.
The College offers the following degrees: B.A. in Shari'ah (Foundations of Religion), B.A. in Shari'ah (Jurisprudence and its Foundations), Master in Exegesis and Hadith, Master in Jurisprudence and its Foundations, Doctorate in Jurisprudence and its Foundations, Doctorate in Hadith & its Sciences and Doctorate in Exegesis & Qur'an Sciences.
The College is committed to providing excellence in education through its highly qualified faculty members, possessing considerable background and experience.
The University of Sharjah is currently seeking applications from qualified individuals for the position of the Dean of the College of Sharia and Islamic Studies to lead the College to a higher level in teaching and research.
Candidates interested in the position are encouraged to apply early by submitting their applications as soon as possible.
For more information about the College, its departments, and the conditions for applying, please visit the University's website at: www.sharjah.ac.ae
Scope of Work
The Dean of the College of Sharia and Islamic Studies is in charge of all academic aspects related to the College and reports directly to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. The Dean assumes a leadership role in the College and administers, directs, and coordinates all training, teaching, and research activities in which the College engages. The Dean also provides guidance for implementing the College Strategic Plan and ensures that the College activities coincide with the mission and objectives of the University within the socio-cultural framework of the United Arab Emirates and the Arab Gulf region.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Dean is expected to:
- Create and sustain a strong network outside the College with the aim of facilitating the process of education and training and research activities.
- Establish strategic directives, aims and policies related to the educational process and research activities within the College and its departments and oversee the implementation of these objectives.
- Represent the University in all matters related to the College at various conferences and symposiums inside and outside the university.
- Propose recommendations related to developing and implementing the College Annual Budget and conduct analyses of productivity and effectiveness on a regular basis.
- Create a network of experts and visiting professors to support the educational and research activities of the College and its sustainability.
- Propose recommendations related to developing University policies and procedures and participate in this process.
- Coordinate agreements with ministries and relevant bodies within the UAE and abroad.
- Possess knowledge of human resources and management concepts as well as higher education practices, policies, and procedures.
- Propose research projects relevant to the region and its development.
- Possess excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural and diverse community.
- Possess experience in communicating and networking with relevant institutions with the aim of promoting education and research.
- Be an expert in matters dealing with external institutions and organizations as well as international accreditation bodies.
The ideal candidate shall demonstrate work experience in professional and academic positions as well a rich record in teaching and research and academic administration as well as outstanding academic recognition at the international level. The candidate will demonstrate his/her effective and ongoing contributions in the fields of his/her specialization in terms of published research in recognized international scientific journals and participation in exhibitions, conferences and symposiums in addition to possessing the following degrees, qualifications, and professional experience:
- A PhD from a recognized university.
- The rank of professor in one of the College's specializations.
- A record of excellence in teaching and research appropriate to the rank of professor in one of the College's specializations.
- Bi-lingual proficiency in English and Arabic conversation and writing.
- Leadership qualities and proven research background in one of the College's specializations.
- A clear vision for developing higher education in general and for the College in particular.
- Full familiarity with the credit hour and academic year (semester) system.
- Distinguished managerial experience in the affairs of higher education, preferably at the level of a college dean in a reputable university.
- Experience with the standards of program accreditation by specialized commissions at national education institutions.
- Acumen in the area of human resources and administrative and financial concepts, practices, policies, and procedures.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work effectively with large sectors of a diverse community.
- Experience in communicating with universities, professional and academic institutions, associations, unions, companies and business administration institutions, and other institutions within the field of education and research.
Priority will be given to applicants with the following qualifications:
- Managerial experience and the skills necessary to launch pioneering projects.
- Multi-cultural skills.
- Active participation in reputable organizations.
- Knowledge of the methods of evaluation and related matters.
- Documentation demonstrating support for the achievements of teachers and students.
- Understanding of the latest teaching methods, including the use of technology in the teaching process.
- Demonstration of an interest in the humanities and a commitment to enriching the educational experience of students.
The University of Sharjah offers a competitive tax-free salary and an excellent benefits package. For more details on the position, salaries, and benefits, please visit our website at : http//www.sharjah.ac.ae
Interested candidates possessing the required experience and qualifications are invited to apply the following form. Please include with your CV the names, phone numbers and email addresses of at least four professional references.