The School of Nursing is seeking a qualified candidate to serve as a Behavioral Health Counselor in partner clinic sites. The Behavioral Health Counselor provides behavioral health services in a manner that upholds the health center’s mission and quality standards and results in better patient health outcomes and overall satisfaction. The behavioral health counselor works closely with the primary care provider and a consulting psychiatrist to revise the treatment plan when patients are not improving, and offers a brief course of counseling. This position will require travel to two clinics in Warsaw, NY on most days.
Outstanding Benefits Package
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuit – all in an effort to support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to learn about our benefit packages.
The University at Buffalo is SUNY’s most comprehensive public research university, and an outstanding place to work. UB amplifies ambition for faculty and staff by offering endless possibilities to achieve more. Here, people from all backgrounds and cultures challenge and inspire each other to discover, learn and succeed. Dedicated staff and engaged faculty collaborate to further knowledge and understanding, and develop tenacious graduates who are valued for their talents and their impact on global society. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo.
As an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer, the Research Foundation will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin and veteran or disability status.
One of the following is required:
1. Master’s degree in social work, or related field, with a minimum of two years’ experience as a therapist and a current license to practice in New York State as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker.
2. Doctoral degree in psychology, with a minimum of two years’ experience as a therapist and a current license to practice in New York State as a Psychologist.
- Capacity to work as part of an inter-professional team.
- Capacity to work with individuals and families in a culturally sensitive, confidential, respectful, caring and professional manner.
- Capacity to demonstrate reflective listening.
- Capacity to work with graduate students in health professions such a Nursing and Social Work.
Experience with substance use disorder and mental health disorder treatment. Experience working with medically ill and/or minority populations. Prior experiences with brief, structured counseling techniques including motivational interviewing.