Faculty, Tenure Track, Associate/Assistant Professor - Masters of Social Work
: Faculty - Tenure Track (FT)
Utah Valley University (UVU) invites applications for a tenure-track faculty member for the Master of Social Work Program in the Behavioral Science Department. The Master of Social Work Program graduated its inaugural class in the spring of 2019 and is looking to expand its faculty as it moves to the final stage of candidacy for CSWE accreditation. The MSW Program has a diverse make-up of students who bring a variety of perspectives and professional experiences to their studies. The program operates on a hybrid model, where courses are delivered in a combination of face-to-face and online interactions.
Utah Valley University is the largest comprehensive public university in the State of Utah. It is located in an idyllic setting in the shadow of the majestic Wasatch Mountain range. The University resides in Orem, Utah, which along with its neighboring city, Provo, has been frequently cited as one of the best quality places to live in the country. Residents of the area enjoy proximity to world-class skiing and a year-round abundance of outdoor and cultural activities. The amenities of attractions such as Salt Lake City, Park City, and Sundance Mountain Resort are easily accessible from the University.
The Social Work program at Utah Valley University is committed to creating an inclusive, equitable, and supportive environment that is comprised of faculty, staff, and students from diverse backgrounds. We welcome applicants whose varied life experiences have prepared them to contribute to enhancing this commitment during this time of growth for the Social Work program and for the University.
Expectations of a faculty member in this position include the following:
- Teaching assigned load of 24 credit hours during the academic year (approximately 12 credit hours each semestertypically a 4/4 load). Teaching assignment may also include BSW classes.
- Designing, preparing, and teaching courses using engaging methods, including demonstrations, discussions, experiential learning activities, and visual aids.
- Identifying measurable course objectives.
- Evaluating learning through participation, written assignments, and examinations.
- Maintaining a student-oriented approach to education.
- Holding regular office hours.
- Doctoral degree in Social Work or related field required. (ABD considered, but must be completed by start date of appointment in August 2020.)
- MSW from a CSWE-accredited social work program.
- A minimum of two years post-masters social work practice experience.
- Teaching experience in social work or related field.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Evidence of potential for scholarly/creative work consistent with a teaching university
- Knowledge and skills regarding current pedagogical theories, methods, and techniques.
- Knowledge of student management, motivation, and evaluation.
- Ability to teach masters level courses, which may include Social Work Practice, Social Work Research Methods, Social Welfare Policy/Analysis, and Human Behavior and the Social Environment.
- Knowledge of field practicum.
- Skills in teaching, mentoring, research, and commitment to professional development.
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary collegiate team environment.
Familiarity with the generalist, ecological, and anti-oppression models of social work theory and pedagogy.
Experience with teaching a minimum of three different courses at a post-secondary educational institution, as indicated on curriculum vitae.
Work is normally performed in a typical classroom/office work environment; Lifting up to 10 lbs.
UVU offers an excellent benefits package, which includes a generous leave policy,12 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents, and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan.
FAC52618 Behavioral Science Faculty
Review Start Date:
Open Until Filled:
Special Instructions to Applicant:
Priority consideration will be given to those applicants who apply on or before the Review Start Date." This job advertisement may close at any time after the review date.
Please list a minimum of three references. References may be contacted at some point during the screening and selection process for a letter of recommendation.
To apply, visit: https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/14521
Employment decisions are made on the basis of an applicants qualifications and ability to perform the job without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), disability, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.