Assistant Teaching Professor - Psychology
University of Massachusetts Lowell
The Department of Psychology at the University of Massachusetts Lowell invites applications for a full-time position as an Assistant Teaching Professor. Successful applicants will teach classes to support the undergraduate program. We are particularly interested in an engaging and dynamic instructor with a strong interest and expertise in teaching Research Methods and Introduction to Psychology. In addition to these courses, there are opportunities to teach advanced courses in the successful candidate’s area of expertise. For a description of course offerings, please visit:
In addition to teaching high-quality courses, Teaching Professors are expected to provide substantial service to the Department and University. For the department, we are interested in applicants who can help with undergraduate advising, recruitment, and retention. Beyond these service roles, the successful candidate will have opportunities to develop other signature service contributions to the department and university. Teaching Professors are fulltime faculty eligible for professional development support.
This is a 9-month appointment that is renewable annually, potentially leading to an appointment as Associate Teaching Professor following six consecutive years of excellent performance evaluations, and subsequent promotion to Full Teaching Professor following additional years of excellent teaching and service. Beyond the regular 9-month appointment, opportunities currently exist for additional compensation via teaching and advising in the summer months. Start date is September 2020.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Earned doctorate in Psychology or a closely-related discipline, by the start of the appointment
- Experience and demonstrated excellence in teaching Psychology courses at the undergraduate level
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Experience advising undergraduate students
- Experience promoting student success
About UMass Lowell:
- Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications is received.
- Please include a CV, cover letter, teaching statement/philosophy, and evidence of teaching excellence with your application. Names and contact information for three references will be required at the time of application.
- For more information, or to apply, please visit: https://explorejobs.uml.edu/lowell/en-us/job/504880/assistant-teaching-professor-psychology
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is a research university with 18,000+ students and offers an excellent salary and benefits package. The Department of Psychology is one of the largest academic units on campus, with an on-campus and online B.A., two master’s programs (Community Social Psychology and Applied Behavior Analysis and Autism Studies), and a doctoral program in Applied Psychology and Prevention Science that trains students for both academic and applied positions. Psychology is one of 11 departments in the University’s College of Fine Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences (FAHSS). The College has seen significant growth in recent years, including new hires, increased funded research expenditures, and the addition of several new interdisciplinary graduate programs. The Department has strong ties to the community of Lowell, a mid-sized city with a diverse population located approximately 25 miles northwest of Boston. Information about the Department is available at www.uml.edu/psychology
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is committed to increasing diversity in its faculty, staff, and student populations, as well as curriculum and support programs, while promoting an inclusive environment. We seek candidates who can contribute to that goal and encourage you to apply and to identify your strengths in this area.