Northern Illinois University (NIU) Counseling and Consultation Services (CCS) seeks qualified candidates to fill a full-time, 12-month Staff Psychologist position. CCS is part of the Division of Student Affairs and contributes to the mission to support the academic and personal success of NIU students as we promote their welfare and persistence through the college experience in preparation for their lives after graduation. Staff in the Division of Student Affairs are committed to serving students as they implement core values of student-centered service, collaborative partnerships focused on student success, inclusive communities striving for equity and social justice, professional growth and competency development, and ethical and efficient stewardship of resources.
ABOUT CCS AND THE DIVISION OF STUDENT AFFAIRS
CCS is accredited by the International Association of Counseling Services (IACS) and we offer an APA-accredited doctoral internship program with three internship positions. We also offer a practicum training program for 3-5 students each year. CCS staff embrace all aspects of diversity and promote awareness, sensitivity, cultural competence, and advocacy across all services as well as in our work with campus and community partners. CCS is a collaborative and team-oriented work environment that values self-care, work/life balance, and having fun while doing this important and challenging work.
Northern Illinois University is located in DeKalb, IL, 65 miles west of Chicago and 30-40 miles from many west suburban communities. With a current enrollment of more than 15,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students, the mission of NIU is to empower students through educational excellence and experiential learning as we pursue knowledge, share our research and artistry, and engage communities for the benefit of the region, state, nation, and world. More than 50% of undergraduate students in fall 2022 identified as Black, Indigenous, or People of Color (BIPOC), and those who identified as Latinx or Black comprised nearly 38% of students. More than 50% of undergraduate students identify as first-generation students and half of graduating classes are transfer students. CCS clients reflect this diversity and the percentages above closely match the percentages of clients seen for mental health support.
This position reports to the Director of CCS and is responsible for providing high-quality generalist mental health services. Strong candidates will have previous experience providing comprehensive mental health services to diverse client populations, a commitment to multiculturally-informed counseling, and an investment in training future professionals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides direct client care including initial consultation and assessment, individual and group counseling, referral services, and crisis intervention support
- Provides outreach programming to the university community focused on topics related to mental health and self-care
- Provides consultation services regarding mental health issues and students of concern to faculty/staff, students, and family/friends
- Provides supervision and training for doctoral interns, practicum student trainees, and graduate assistants
- Maintains accurate records in a timely and ethical manner
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Required Qualifications (SPS)
- Doctorate in Counseling or Clinical Psychology
- Licensure as a Clinical Psychologist in the State of Illinois within 18 months of hire.
- Clinical experience providing individual and group counseling.
- Experience providing supervision to doctoral interns and graduate-level trainees in psychology or related field.
- Previous experience providing services to diverse clients and a demonstrated commitment to multicultural counseling competencies
Additional Requirements (SPS)
- Strong skills to provide outreach and psychoeducational programming on mental health topics
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Preferred Qualifications (SPS)
- Currently licensed or license-eligible as a Clinical Psychologist in Illinois.
- Experience in a university counseling center.