Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the national institution of higher education in Qatar. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates, destined to shape the future of Qatar. The university community has diverse and committed faculty that teaches and conduct research, which addresses relevant local and regional challenges, advances knowledge, and contributes actively to the needs and aspirations of society.
Qatar University is an intellectual and scholarly community characterized by open discussion, the free exchange of ideas, respectful debate, and a commitment to rigorous inquiry. All members of the University – faculty, staff, and students- are expected to advance the scholarly and social values embodied by the university.
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) houses ten departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including Arabic Language, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Chemistry, English Literature & Linguistics, History, International Affairs, Policy, Planning and Development, Mass Communication, Sociology, Social Work, Psychology, Statistics, Mathematics, Sports Science. The College also houses five Master Programs, which are in Arabic Language and Literature, Gulf Studies, Applied Statistics, Environmental Sciences and Materials Science and Technology . In Fall 2013, CAS launched a PhD in Biological and Environmental Sciences. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers. Also, there are two established research centers, namely the Center for Sustainable Development, and the Gulf Studies Center. The College started a PhD in Gulf Studies in Fall 2015.
It is worth mentioning that as members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 1 million/project (5million exceptional projects) along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research- active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Department of Mass Communication at Qatar University is one of very few departments accredited by ACEJMC outside of the USA. It offers a Bachelor of Arts program with three areas of specialization: Print/Online Journalism, Strategic Communication, and Broadcast
The Department of Mass Communication at Qatar University invites applications for Associate Professor/Professor in Mass Communication.
The successful candidate is expected to have a good record of teaching in Arabic.
Also, the successful candidate is expected to have experience in curriculum development, supervision of graduation projects and a competitive record in research activities and scholarly publications.
The department seeks a candidate whose teaching style supports a diverse student body. The successful candidate is expected to hold a doctorate in Mass Communications or related communication fields; and to have university-level teaching experience in the field of mass communication.
The successful candidate is expected to teach in Arabic general mass communication courses such as, Media and Society, Media, Law and Ethics, Mass Communication Research Methods, Global Communication and Communication Theories.
In addition to teaching, the candidate is expected to contribute in committees and conduct research/produce professionally creative quality work. Also, professional experience in any of the fields of mass communication is a plus.
2.Contribute to various
committees at the Department, College, and University levels
3.Contribute to the research
profile of the College through research and creative endeavors.
4.Serve as student advisor
5.Other responsibilities as
assigned by the Head of Department
1.Ph. D. in the relevant area of emphasis
2.Strong peer reviewed publication record
3.Teaching experience at tertiary
4.Familiarity with educational technology
5.Willingness to work with teams
6.Ability to work with people from
7.Excellent written and oral
communication skills (Arabic and English).
Online application form supported with
1. Current Curriculum Vitae.
2. Cover letter.
3. Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
4. Three referees’ contact information (physical address, email address and telephone number).
5. Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
6. Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
1. A three-year renewable contract.
2. Salary is commensurate with experience.
3. Tax-free salary.
4. Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
5. Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
6. Educational allowance for candidate’s children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
7. Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
8. Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
9. End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
1. Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
2. New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.