Faculty, Tenure Track, Assistant Professor - Communication and Public Relations
: Faculty - Tenure Track (FT)
Utah Valley University invites applications for a Faculty, Assistant Professor, to teach a full load of courses (4/4) in the Department of Communication's Public Relations emphasis. Prepares instructional materials (course outlines, syllabi, exams, etc.) as necessary. Provides service to the department, college and university in addition to conducting communication research relative to the advancement of knowledge in the discipline. Pursues and develops strong ties with academic associations and professional PR/Media organizations and businesses in the state, region and nation.
Ph.D. in Communication(s) or Public Relations from an accredited institution. ABD accepted, although doctorate must be completed (dissertation defended and accepted by granting institution) by August 1, 2019. Knowledge and skill in current instructional theories, strategies, techniques, and discipline content. Evidence of potential for scholarly/creative work consistent with a teaching university.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
[*] Knowledge of and demonstrated competence of professional public relations practices and applications.
- Knowledge of teaching through implementation of appropriate pedagogy, clear presentation and preparation.
- Knowledge of classroom instruction, curriculum development, and program assessment.
- Knowledge of developing and coordinating undergraduate student programs and activities.
- Knowledge of how to conduct, present, and publish academic research.
- Skills in interpersonal communication.
- Skills in problem-solving and decision-making.
- Ability to provide service to the department, college, and university through shared faculty governance, including serving on departmental, college, and university-wide committees.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to present scholarly research at international, national, and regional conferences.
- Ability to publish scholarly research in communication and media journals.
- Ability to use online learning tools and mechanisms.
- Ability to develop, coordinate, manage, and foster teamwork among diverse education and training programs.
- Ability to function effectively on a variety of committees and assignments.
Six to ten years of public relations experience preferred. Evidence of online course design and teaching preferred.
Evidence of previous teaching experience related to public relations, theory, and research- methods courses.
Evidence of research production via presentations at international (e.g., ICA), national (e.g., NCA, AEJMC), and/or regional (Western States, Central States, etc.) conferences as well as through publications in communication and media journals.
Teaching and research strengths should complement current departmental curriculum.
Requirements associated with teaching are continuous speaking, seeing, and hearing. Extended periods of standing, walking, and sitting are required. Extensive use of fine-hand manipulation associated with the use of a computer keyboard. Work is normally performed in a typical classroom/office work environment. Requires regular sitting and standing. Must have the mental and physical capabilities to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations. Must be able to communicate effectively. Requires large classroom, small-group and interpersonal interactions with students, faculty, and members of the campus.
UVU offers an excellent benefits package that includes a generous leave policy, 12 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan.
FAC33018 Communication Faculty 11/05/2018
Review Start Date:
Open Until Filled:
Special Instructions to Applicant:
Priority consideration will be given to those applicants who apply on or before the Review Start Date." This job advertisement may close at any time after the review date.
Please list a minimum of three references. References may be contacted at some point during the screening and selection process for a letter of recommendation.
To apply, visit: https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/9412
Employment decisions are made on the basis of an applicants qualifications and ability to perform the job without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), disability, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.