A Level C academic in Public Relations is expected to make significant contributions to the teaching effort of a department, school, faculty or other organisational unit or an interdisciplinary area. An academic at this level is also expected to play a major role in scholarship, research and/or professional activities.
The appointee is expected to contribute to ongoing curriculum development, supervise Honours and postgraduate students, and conduct and produce high quality research in Public Relations and/or cognate fields. Experience in developing a practical, industry-relevant curriculum in Public Relations and in coordinating large-scale undergraduate programs is highly desirable. Evidence of successful grant applications with publication outcomes and/or collaborative/multi-disciplinary research will be an added advantage. The appointee ideally would have a research focus broadly compatible with the research strength of the school on Southeast Asia.
Specific duties required of a Level C academic may include:
1. The conduct of tutorials, practical classes, demonstrations, workshops, student field excursions, clinical sessions and/or studio sessions
2. Initiation and development of subject material
3. Course coordination
4. The preparation and delivery of lectures and seminars
5. Supervision of major honours or postgraduate research projects
6. Supervision of the program of study of honours students and of postgraduate students engaged in course work
7. The conduct of research
8. Significant role in research projects including, where appropriate, leadership of a research team
9. Involvement in professional activity
10. Consultation with students
11. Broad administrative functions
12. Marking and assessment
13. Attendance at departmental, school and/or faculty meetings and a major role in planning or committee work
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
1. The appointee will have:
- a PhD or equivalent qualification in the relevant discipline or closely related subject area, and standing and/or recognised significant experience in the relevant discipline area.
In determining experience relative to qualifications, regard shall be had to teaching experience, experience in research, experience outside tertiary education, creative achievement, professional contributions and/or contributions to technical achievement. In addition, a position at this level will normally require a record of demonstrable scholarly and professional achievement in the relevant discipline area.
Knowledge and Skills
2. Possess a high level of interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team across both the education and service sectors
3. Demonstrated publication record in high-quality refereed journals, equivalent conferences, textbooks or teaching resources
4. Demonstrated ability in undertaking outstanding research and leading a research team and project
5. Proven record of obtaining significant external grants for research
6. Demonstrated record of successfully supervising postgraduate research students
7. Demonstrated experience in curriculum and subject material development, including the capacity to build practical and industry-relevant components into the curriculum
8. Demonstrated strong record of teaching experience in a tertiary environment including course coordination
9. Demonstrated ability to motivate, actively engage and educate a given audience
10. Proven ability, commitment and passion for engaging in scholarly and research activities
11. Ability to work positively and cooperatively with students, internal and external teams and external organisations
12. A demonstrated capacity to work in a collegiate manner with other staff in the workplace
To apply, send your Cover Letter and Resume to recruit@ monash.edu and quote the job number.
Closing Date: 22 May 2019
Monash University is Australia’s largest university, and member of the prestigious Group of Eight research intensive universities. Monash consistently rates in the top 100 universities in the world.
Monash University Malaysia is Monash’s third largest campus, with over 8000 students and 900 staff. We are a comprehensive campus offering degrees in business, engineering, medicine, science, information technology, pharmacy, social science and humanities. We are rated among the very best among universities in Malaysia, and the quality of our research output positions us among the very best universities in Southeast Asia.
Monash University Malaysia provides Monash University with a platform for scholarly engagement with the dynamic Southeast Asia region. We are located in greater Kuala Lumpur, in the Klang Valley, one of the region&rsquo;s industrial hotspots. We sit in the heart of the rapidly developing economic corridor linking Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok and beyond. Our education and research is oriented towards deep engagement with this dynamic social and industrial landscape.
In 2018 we celebrated our twentieth anniversary in Malaysia. During this time we have produced more than 16,000 graduates from more than 70 different countries. We provide a diverse and inclusive scholarly environment.
In 2017 Monash Malaysia was awarded a Six Star SETARA rating by the Malaysian Ministry of Education. This places us in the very top &ldquo;outstanding&rdquo; cohort of Malaysian Universities.
Monash University Malaysia is jointly owned by Monash University and the Jeffrey Cheah Foundation
For further information see: www.monash.edu.my
The School of Arts and Social Sciences, established in May 2008, is one of the premier research and teaching schools of Arts and Social Sciences in Malaysia and Asia. The School offers studies at diploma, undergraduate, honours and postgraduate degree by coursework as well as by research. There are three undergraduate degree programmes namely Bachelor of Arts and Social Sciences; and Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies; and Bachelor of Arts (Honours). In addition, the School offers a coursework Master in Communications and Media Studies as well as Master and Doctoral degrees by research. The School is also responsible for the Diploma of Higher Education Studies (DHES), an alternative pathway into selected undergraduate degrees at Monash University Malaysia.
Academic staff within the School come from a range of disciplines in the Humanities and Social Sciences such as Anthropology, Communication and Media Studies, Education, Film and Television Studies, Gender Studies, Geography, History, International Relations, International Political Economy, Literary Studies, Political Science, and Religious Studies. These disciplinary strengths underpin both the education (teaching) focus of the School as well as its research. The School has built a reputation around its core research strength on "Social Transformation in Southeast Asia", with research activity taking place within four broad clusters: Communication, Media and Policy; Culture, Religion and Gender; Literature, Cinema and Society; and Politics, Development and Governance.
For further information: www.sass.monash.edu.my