The University of Kentucky Libraries Medical Center Library (MCL) seeks an experienced, creative, proactive, collaborative, and service-oriented librarian to lead our Research, Education, and Clinical Services division. The MCL supports the education, research, and clinical programs of the six UK health sciences colleges, UK Healthcare, as well as the wider interdisciplinary biomedical community of the University. The Assistant Director for Research, Education, and Clinical Services must have experience working as a liaison and possess knowledge and experience in key service areas for health sciences libraries.
Reporting to the Director of the MCL, the Assistant Director is responsible for the following:
- Leading a team of five professional librarians in providing research, instruction, and liaison activities to ensure a high level of service to library clientele.
- Overseeing the development of innovative user-centered research and instruction services that support the mission of research, education, and patient care of the six health sciences colleges and UK Healthcare.
- Providing strategic direction and vision for the division, its staff, and services.
- Serving as liaison to the College of Public Health.
- Promoting the exploration and implementation of new approaches to research services, departmental/college liaison engagement, research consultation services, and information literacy skills programs.
- Working actively with primary clientele to explore and propose collaborative projects and opportunities for integration of the MCL in relevant academic departments.
- Participating with liaison librarians in the development of educational programs and services that support information management and the practice of evidence based medicine, including teaching classes and orientations in a variety of settings
- Participating in UK Libraries research data services and scholarly communication initiatives
- Compiling and reporting statistics of department activities.
- Representing the MCL on appropriate committees, including library system and university-wide committees.
- Representing the MCL at local, regional, and national professional meetings.
- Demonstrating active engagement with relevant professional associations.
This position is a full-time, 12-month, tenure-track position.
The University of Kentucky is a public, land grant university of approximately 32,000 students, 3,500 faculty, and 15,000 staff dedicated to improving people’s lives through excellence in education, research and creative work, service, and health care. With over 200 academic programs across sixteen colleges and professional schools, the University plays a critical leadership role by promotion diversity, inclusion, economic development, and human well-being. Located in the beautiful bluegrass region of central Kentucky, the University of Kentucky Libraries includes the main William T. Young Library, Medical Center Library, Special Collections Research Center, Agricultural Information Center, Fine Arts Library, Design Library, Education Library, Lexmark Library, and Science & Engineering Library. Combined library holdings total more than four million volumes. The system has a faculty of 60 and a support and professional staff of 108. UK Libraries currently uses the Ex Libris Alma and Primo systems. UK Libraries memberships include the Association of Research Libraries, LYRASIS, ASERL, and the Center for Research Libraries. UK is a regional depository for government publications.
To apply, interested applicants must complete a UK application and attach two documents:
- Curriculum vitae
- Cover letter
Please include contact information for three references when prompted in the application. This information may be utilized to solicit recommendation letters for your references within the employment system.
Review of applicants will begin December 10, 2018, and the position will remain open until filled. Preference will be given to candidates who apply by the review date.